Monday, June 30, 2008

Us v Them, or rather, new v old media

Yup, the "fight", if you want to call it that, is still going on strong, as seen in the furore over the Associated Press taking issue with The Drudge Report. Good or bad move? What does it represent?

Here's some takes on it:

Associated Press takedown notice sets the net abuzz

Bloggers to AP: I got your feed right here

I don't understand why it has to be an Us V Them type scenario to be honest. In the end, news wires like AP are still, I believe the lifeblood of the news industry. Without them, news would be one unregulated mess. Maybe that's how the bloggers like it, I don't know. But I can't see how sifting through millions of blogs to get just a decent bit of information would be feasible as a newsgathering activity. Or, I could be wrong ...

But yes, AP is cutting back, and so is Reuters. So maybe one day it'll just be blogs eh?

No comments: